A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice

I grew up in Fayetteville Arkansas, home of the University of Arkansas. It is a college town nestled among the rolling hills of the Ozarks. Being a child in a town like this, meant that I grew up with the freedom to ride my bike anywhere I pleased, I listened to conversations of intellectuals at my parents' dinner table and swam in the pool from open till close. Summer to me was amazing.

Fast forward 20 years. Here I am 31 years old, with a beautiful child of my own and I have come to learn something quite frightening about myself. I have spent the past several summers watching it come and go. Working for many political campaigns, I would spend my summers organizing volunteers, coaxing them to understand that knocking on doors in the heat was the best way to turn out the vote. Even last summer, when I should of soaked up all that beautiful time with my own daughter at the pool, I was busy working for a candidate. While, I am proud of my work, I want to make a resolution for this summer and doing so today, during the solstice seems to make the most sense.

We tend to make resolutions on Jan 1 and by this time of the year, they are but a dusty exercise machine in the corner memory. I think the middle of the year, when everything is green and warm is a better time to sit and reflect on our lives.

My summer solstice resolution is to spend more time in the present. I have a tendency to always think of the future. Forever planning and looking ahead. Which I suppose is a fine thing to do, but what about all the time we have right now? Last night, I was rocking my daughter to sleep while she was nestled in my chest. In that one moment I started to think, one day she is not even going to let me be seen with her. Enjoy this now! Our children grow up so fast and in the blink of an eye, the summer is gone and we prepare for the cold months ahead.

I resolve that I will enjoy and drink up life. To always love and live in the present and to nurture and my daughter to walk gently through this earth. No longer will I live in my ego-driven past or worry about what people think of me since quitting politics. I know I have done my best to move forward. That is all anyone can ask of any of us humans.

This week, make a resolution for the summer. It is a more freeing time for you mind. The more sunshine you are exposed to, the more open your thoughts tend to be. Like I said, this is a brilliant time to make a resolution. Sit down with your children tonight over a lovely summer salad and iced tea and talk about what everyone's resolution could be. It is a great time to reboot and connect with your family.

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment