A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Snack Mama

I am in charge of snacks this week at Millie's school. When I saw it was my week, I started to obsess what I could make for all the kids. As if I were preparing a fully catered meal for adults, this became a big deal for me. Yes, I know, it is snack time at school and does not sound sexy or exciting. Well, I would like to say, that the more we play dull on such things like snacks, the more our children will become complacent about food.

Showing enthusiasm when it comes to preparing food, I believe is a good thing to encourage my daughter to embrace good solid nutritional values. I get to share my recipes for snacks with other kids this week and I could not be more excited! 

For the first time since starting this little blog, I am going to post my snack recipes every day that she is in school, starting with tonight's recipe. I hope this encourages you to make your own snacks for your children's school, or even just for yourselves at home. Being a part of my daughter's school helps me connect to our little community. I am happy that they embrace parents to be in charge of snacks, because it keeps us involved. 

Cinnamon-gram trail mix: 
  • 2 cups of plain cheerios 
  • 1 cup granola 
  • 1 cup gram cracker cookies (I like gram bunnies by Annie's) 
  • Local honey
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1tbsp of cinnamon 
In a large bowl bring dry ingredients together first. Then when they are fully incorporated, add honey and brown sugar. Place on a baking sheet in the oven for about 7 minutes on low heat around 257-300 F, just until the brown sugar gets a little crunchy with a little melt to it.  

When the mix is out of the oven, place into individual serving containers. The reason I do individual containers, is to control portions and lessen germ sharing. But of course, whatever works for you go ahead and do that to your comfort level.  


Sliced local peaches and cubed cheese: 

Go to your local market and pick out some beautiful peaches and really good white cheddar cheese. There is not really a recipe, just slice and serve! The combination of white cheddar with peaches is just creamy and amazing. 

Monday's snack will contain a local fruit, protein and grain. This is well-balanced and energy-boosting for small kids. 

Snacking is fun for little ones, so let us give them snacks from the heart, that are good for the heart. Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment