A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pea Envy

One of my favorite things about spring is the pea. It is small, green and simple. It has a wonderful taste, somewhat sweet but also delicate. Peas can brighten up so many dishes, while also being a stand-alone veggie. When I was a kid, peas were always depicted on TV as a punishment veggie. "Young man, you better eat your peas if you want to go play later" is what I heard shouted by some over-bearing father figure.

Food can be a very mental experience. Negative associations with fruits and veggies are as common place in America as the fast food joints that litter our streets. The understated pea is no slouch though and it should not be condemned to the baby food jar in the back of the grocery store. No, it is time for the pea to come out, greet spring with the pride it should truly have.

Shelling peas are a great way for kids to get involved in the cooking and kitchen process. I remember my mother would have me shelling these peas in the spring and summer over our kitchen sink. I was so excited to do so, because it meant that my mother wanted me to help her prepare our dinner that night. I loved it when she invited me into the kitchen for help and I am sure that it would be a hit with your kids as well. 

Spring brings us this beautiful tiny green orb and with that, I would love to share with you my favorite pea inspired spring recipes. Trust me when I say that the pea will be your go to veggie after you try a few of these delicious dishes. What is also amazing about the pea, is that it is considered a "first food" for your baby. Any first food can not be a bad thing for the rest of the family. Enjoy the new season, the warm air, getting outside and of course the food that comes with the changing of the season. Lighter, brighter and of course fabulous! 

Cheers! 

Pea and mint baby food
  • 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen peas
  • fresh mint finely chopped  
Steam the peas until really tender. In the last 3-5 minutes of steaming, add the chopped mint. In a food processor combine the two with a little bit of water until blended well enough for a baby to eat. For older babies, add a little lemon zest for brightness. 

Curry peas and rice 
  • 1 cup of jasmine rice
  • 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen peas
  • 1tsp of curry powder
  • pinch of salt 
  • lemon zest 
  • squeeze of lemon juice
  • 1 tsp of paprika for older kids and adults
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil then add the rice. Reduce heat and give one big stir to the rice and then let sit until done. When the rice is done, fluff in a bowl and add the other ingredients. It is really good with a fillet of salmon.

Pea and feta cheese salad
  • One bag of washed and dried romaine lettuce 
  • 1/2 cup of peas 
  • four ounces of feta cubed or crumbled 
  • pecan or vegetable oil 
  • pinch of salt and pepper to taste
  • lemon juice
Mix the lettuce in the bowl with oil and lemon juice before adding the peas and feta. When the lettuce if fully coated with the oil and lemon, then add the peas and feta and toss again, serve. 



1 comment: