A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

ROAD TRIP!

Working as a professional campaign staffer means you live in your car. I have had the privilege of working in several different states for several different candidates and cause issues. I logged over 90,000 miles on my brand new VW Beetle because of my job. It was the part that I loved the most. Getting in my car and taking off for a new campaign was always exciting. This part of my job most certainly carried over to my daughter. She loves road trips and so far has visited 10 states and is not even two yet!

Well what do you when you are about to hit the road and you are traveling with a toddler or small child? America’s highways and interstates are littered with fast food joints, bad gas station food and chain restaurants. There are so few options for colorful and nutritious road trip food.

I will be the first to admit, that while on a road trip, it is almost like your body cries out for pork rinds and RC cola while listening to your favorite bad 80’s rock station. But if you have ever traveled with a small child, the last thing you want is an upset stomach or worse. If your child does not eat fast food regularly or drink sodas, giving them such treats in a car situation can actually be worse than at home. With the motion of the car and the confined space of the back seat and straps of the car seat, you are asking for a terrible situation to arise.

When I take Millie on our many adventures, I pack the car full of good snacks and lunches that would fill the cravings for the adults, while satisfying the little one. Here are some of my road trip food ideas. Cheers!

  • Champagne Grapes (They are smaller than regular grapes and not a chocking hazard like regular grapes)
  • Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese cubes
  • Orange slices (Not whole oranges. You do not want to deal with the peal.)
  • Cucumber and dill sauce pita wraps
  • Fancy club soda with a flavor. Like lime, orange, grapefruit or lemon. No sugar, no sodium, no calories. And the bubbles fill your stomach up to settle it on the road.
  • Pita chips
  • Blueberries
  • Snap peas
  • Green beans
  • Dried fruit or veggies
  • Carrot sticks
  • Fruit bars

All of these wonderful snacks are easy for a toddler to chew on and will fill the craving of anyone in the car, no matter what their age. I promise, you will feel much better as well when you arrive at your destination. You will not have the bloat and upset stomach of fast food. 

1 comment:

  1. The champagne grapes were my number one choice as a snack on our family road-trip to Chicago last August. I was so glad you found them when we got there, as well as before we left for home. Millie and I loved them. Still do.

    ReplyDelete