A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Saturday, September 17, 2011

It was just nice to hear...

I have been writing this little blog for almost a year now as a response to my dismay in the political world. Too much work on campaigns and not enough time dedicated to mind, body and spirit. My daughter has inspired something in me that I never knew was possible, to be creative once again.

This blog was just a way to hold myself accountable to writing and researching recipes, to actually take what was only a passing hobby and make it real and serious. I never thought that I would get a call like I did this morning, one that has really moved me.

There is a woman in my class at culinary school, she has two children and has worked in food for a while. Her husband is in service stationed in Japan right now. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be a military wife, going to school full time and taking care of two children. We do not give enough thanks to the spouses and children who stay behind when our troops are called to serve.

She called me up early this morning with such an enthusiastic tone. "Liz, I took my children to the farmer's market! They loved eating the cucumbers, they told me they tasted so fresh!" The experience of having her children eat the fresh produce awakened her own love of food.

Being woken up like that this morning was a great way to start my day. My goals and ambitions have nothing to do with cooking in a professional kitchen. No, I want to write about food, talk about food and teach young people about food. How it affects all of our lives, even the people that we will never meet across the planet. Food is the only thing in this world that will bring us together over a dispute, an agrument or miscomunication. Food nurishes, food inspires and food restores.

If I inspire even one person to live and eat locally with their children, then I feel like I have contributed something to this planet. I want to leave my daughter with a better earth. Thank you to all of you that read my blog.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment