A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Greetings!

This is officially my very first blog entry, ever! I have to admit, that I was skeptical of blogs, but I have since come around. Well, here we go!

This will be a food blog for babies, toddlers and children. After working in politics for many years, I found that my passion for it fell apart during this last cycle. Campaign politics can be brutal for parents, so I have made a bold decision to quit.

When I was working for a certain candidate this summer, his headquarters happened to be located next to a Save-a-lot grocery store. If you know anything about this horrible chain, you know that it is not in anyway healthy for consumption. Everything in there is processed, packaged and filled with nitrates and sugars. There is entire row of gallon jugs of colored sugar water, masquerading as juice. I would watch mothers drag their children into the store and buy the most awful foods. All I could think about was these children are not going to grow up to be healthy adults. How in the world can they be prepared to lead our country?

I have been making my own baby food from the beginning and if I can do it while juggling a job that requires me to be there seven-days-a-week, everyone can at least give it a shot. I understand that not everyone knows how, or even has the desire. But I am here to tell you, that once you get started and active in your child's nutrition, you will not only be happy with the results, but you may even find it fun and a good bonding experience.

I will start with a some basic knowledge and tips here.

If you have a baby who is starting new foods, think about what we consider "first foods" for example: Apples, pears, peas, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and carrots. Who has not bought these fruits and veggies whole before? So, why would you spend so much money on jar food? I did some math. If you feed your baby up to three times daily a jar of food, you will end up spending $1,800 per year on BABY FOOD! That is crazy!

If you have access to a farmer's market, I highly suggest you get your produce from a local vendor. If you can source your food, then you are in control of your child's diet. That is a very empowering feeling. If not, try to use grocery stores or co-op's that source their vendors for you.

Take apples for example: Buy six apples, peel, chop and put into a pot to boil or you can steam in a steamer. Give it 10 minutes, then drain and smash or put into a processor. You now have made enough apple sauce to fill two entire ice trays of food. It can be stored for up to one year if seal properly. You also just spent about $2.50 for 24 units of food. If you do math, you will find that this is not only a better option for your child's diet, but for your pocket book as well.

I will start posting recipes and tips soon. For now, I just want to get started and get some feedback.

Thank you for giving me a chance to try and get our children to grow up to be leaders by not only feeding their little bellies, but their minds as well. Try and get your children to help you in the kitchen as well. Bonding over food is one of the best things I do with my daughter and I think you will find it to be just as enjoyable.

CHEERS!

2 comments:

  1. In 1994 I was a less than solvent, first-time mamma who quickly found that my only real option to feed my son something besides breast milk and cereal provided by WIC was to buy my own fruits & veggies to steam and mash(I do prefer steaming to retain nutrients). I would boil the empty baby food jars I had previously purchased and refill with sweet potatoes, peas, apples and apricots. As you said, it provided better and MORE for less, with no added sugars or preservatives. In 2003, my daughter was born, and although I was then more able to buy the prefab jars, it seemed only fair that I do the same for her as I'd done for my son.
    We insist on buying actual pumpkins to make our seasonal pies, but the daily grind sometimes makes my choice between canned and fresh a matter of convenience rather than good sense.
    I look forward to your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that one of the biggest misconceptions out there, is that if your are not as well-off as other people, that you have to provide fast foods, packaged foods etc... Thank you so much for your comment. Not only was it informative, but you are my first!

    First recipe to come today! Enjoy and cheers!

    ReplyDelete