A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Thursday, January 12, 2012

National Soup Month



The holidays are over, the lights have come down and now we are settling into the long cold month of January. I happen to be a January baby myself, so I do have a weird affection for the month.

Recently I saw that it is "national soup month" and that got me thinking about all the wonderful soups that I like to create for myself, my family and for my daughter's warm dinners. They can range from simple all the way to complicated and time-consuming. There are several types of soup. Bisque which has a shrimp, lobster or crab shell base, cream soup that have vegetables as the thickener and chowders. There are tones of garnishes, from noodles to white beans and you can come up with any color in the rainbow for your base. When you think about it, soup really is the ultimate in comfort foods.

Most people have a go to soup that they make that their family just adores. It cheers them up when they are sick, comforts them when it is cold and brings us together at the table after a long day out in the snow. However, I am going to challenge conventional soup theory here and share with you one of my favorite recipes. One that your children may just find fun and interesting.

Stay warm, cheers!

Apple and Parsnip Soup

  • 7 parsnips, peeled and washed
  • 3 apples, peeled and washed
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 cups of water
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Heavy whipping cream for garnish
Bring the water and stock to a hard simmer, add a pinch of salt to the water. Dice your parsnips and apples into large dice (make sure all pieces are equal for even cooking time). Add to the simmering water and cover for about 25 minutes. Bring heat down and then slowly add to a processor. When you add hot things to your food processor it can explode, so slowly add. When the entire contents have been properly blended to smooth add back to the pot and bring up the heat then garnish with a splash of heavy cream and salt and pepper. Serve with a good salad and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment