A Millie Favorite

A Millie Favorite

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day




I have to admit that in my twenties, Valentine’s Day was not my favorite holiday. I know that I really loved it as a child, but at some point my pessimism must have set in and my love turned to loathing.

Well, I am happy to report that I am back in the spirit of this fascinating holiday. Just the idea of bringing treats and cards to make a child smile is such a wonderful thought. I love how happy kids get when they receive their Valentine cards, candy and small presents.

My wonderful husband Robert took over bath time detail tonight and I poured myself a glass of wine and begun the task of assembling the treat bags for Amelia’s class. The idea of receiving these little bags of treats and heart-shaped stickers really fired up my creative juices.

I have been searching for earth-friendly, healthy and creative ideas for this Valentine’s Day and I have to say that there is a movement out there to create better and more handmade treats and gifts. Here is an idea I had for an interesting treat to put in your child’s Valentine’s card or to share with the classroom. While this may not be the most wholesome recipe I have posted, it does use fresh fruit and cuts out and preservatives and icky foreign packaging. It is made from your heart and therefore is always good for your child.

Candied Oranges and Cranberries

  • One orange per person
  • ¼ cup dried cranberries
  • ½ stick of unsalted butter
  • ¼ cup of granulated sugar
  • One tsp of good vanilla
  • One tsp of fresh cinnamon

In a large skillet melt unsalted butter until it coats the entire pan. Pour your pealed and sectioned oranges and dried cranberries in. Combine your sugar and cinnamon and then pour on top of the orange and cranberry fruit. Let the heat caramelize your sugar and butter over the fruit. Let the fruit sit over the heat for about 7-10 minutes until soft and golden. In the last minute of cooking, add your vanilla.

Place on paper towel and let cool for 30 minutes. Sprinkle a little sugar over the fruit and then place in the refrigerator over night. You will have a delicious candy alternative that is bright and colorful. You can place these treats in pretty bags and tie with a pink and red ribbon. Voila you have your Valentine’s Day candy! And if you are extra adventuress, you can dip the oranges in melted dark chocolate. Let cool for 10 minutes in the refrigerator and the chocolate will be firm. Yummy! 

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment